Thursday, November 17, 2005

Notes from Session 8: Nov 16th

“We’ve all been brought here for a purpose, we don’t know what it is, but we need to escape.”


CHARACTERS
- I have set up a post for each character, so we can write more about them. Click on the character on the side bar on the right to post something.

POLYLOGUE. Link.

Ned: edited polylogue to bring out best lines, aka “babies”, and its sounds like a poem:
(scroll past this to see more session notes)

Can anyone hear me?
I think I know where I am, but I’m confused about where you are?
Identify yourself?
I am a self too…I think
You are a whisper in the darkness that has been forgotten
Funny, I just remembered the taste of walnuts.
Everyone quiet down, I can’t hear the background over the din.
We are here for a reason.
What is it?
And…how can we escape?
Lets move closer.
Would anyone else like to come with me?
How do I know you aren’t me?
I was just in my car, fast asleep.
LISTEN to your SELVES
I am going to impose the threat of meaninglessness on all future comments.
I enjoy the challenge.
Who is guilty and when are they guilty.
I am looking for the rules so that I can begin to punish.
I don’t mean what I said.
I was walking in the park with my love, and that day time certainly stopped.
My husband left me six weeks ago.
Every movement I made reminded me of him.
I lived off tears, I think.
When I emerged, there was a letter.
I should have opened it earlier.
But, everything you feared has come true.
Did you think that by forgetting it would leave you blank?
I hate living with possibility, negation, guess-work.
Please answer this letter.
I haven’t had a breath of fresh air in days.
When will it end?
Who do you think you are? Weren’t you there, didn’t you look into their eyes?
You know what’s going on so stop being naïve.
I remember then and now.
What’s so bad? We are warm enough – not hungry or tired, there is no pain…I know I am not in pain, at least.
IF someone would just, if I could just, I dunno…laugh…laugh at me.
No
There has never been teamwork before. Those who were smarter have come and gone.
Don’t do that to me!
All I know is that I want to get back to my life.
I’ve been here too long!
The mind is a small camera
Take some snapshots
Tonight I almost witnessed someone hit by a car on their bike.
The face of the push biker. The sorriness of the driver.
I was powerless and loved it.
Entrapment. You feel that right in your chest, the tightness.
Are you luring me into something?
My chest is a sort of cage, I suppose. Is that what you mean?
I don’t remember asking for this. Stop speaking, I can’t stand it.
Fancy that, you didn’t even feel me tugging.
And I though I was a little….a little…a little….What was I saying?
You didn’t ask for this.
What a luxury it is to ask for things.
Shhhh, YOU, you trailed off.
Continue.
Continue.
Continue what? Did I miss a story? A bedtime story? What’s it about?
Can I tell a story?
Yes, please do.
Oh, all right, I’ll tell a story.
Once upon a time, there was a very blue planet. This planet had other sister and brother planets that liked to revolve around it. And as one year passed on the planet, several hundred years passed on its brothers' and sisters' surfaces.
And what else was there in the story? ... Oh yes.
The end.
Copernicus discovered that our Universe is not geocentric.
“Brother and Sister” planets don’t revolve around the blue planet.
In the future, please tell stories that are relevant and try to remember what happens at the end.
There isn’t much to say for the people that stay here.
I always get the sense that what they leave behind is important.
These little fragments I filter and sometimes, just sometimes, I keep them.
I always thought you’d be among the first to go once I found out people were coming and going.
How many days has it been for you now?
I’ve started pulling my hairs out and leaving them on the floor for every time someone comes and goes.
Nearly 2,000 hairs as I count them, though!! That's a feat, isn't it? Heh, eventually it'll take me so long to count them that I'll need to pull another hair out before I finish counting.
I figure that once the things I collect amount to what might be considered a history, then I will leave here.
The discarded and forgotten become the constellation of a new universe.
Astrology forgot that the universe is expanding. Someone has to link the scattered stars to form new constellations.
Please don’t forget anything when you leave this place.
Why are you always taking about leaving here? I quite like it here.
Everything has been gouged out of here and there is nothing left.
I cannot fall asleep. I cannot dream.
Without dreams, Without hope. Without anything but what is in front of you.
I dream of being asleep while I am awake and awake while I am dreaming.
I fall asleep when I’m awake, though.
I think we are being toyed with.
Does anyone want a cup of coffee?
Dream of sleep without dreams.
Since you mentioned coffee I cannot stop smelling it! How did you do that?
I don’t know about you but I work here. Need the money.
I have plans though.
Any of you. If anyone brought you here against your will, it was you.
I would love a cup of coffee.

SETTING
- Are we inside someone’s consciousness?
- A collision of consciousnesses?
- The opposite of Multiple Personality Disorder?
- Are we in a dark room?
- To what degree are people reacting to the situation they are in and why?
- People slowly sense their environment.

PROCESS
- It is hard to keep up with what’s going on.
- How do we be not linear, and avoid losing conversations?
Stages of Community:
- False (all-inclusive)
- Breakdown (smaller groups)
- Chaos (Loneliness)
- True (What we are working towards)
Impulses:
1) Take leads and follow them.
2) Copernicus and Einstein theme is interesting.
3) Avoid things that are said that don’t need to be said. E.g. lists, being too direct “I’m insane”
- “How do we make this all pay off?”
- Let the actors express the emotion, use understatement in writing as a tool.
- Must find when the world changes, when every character changes.
- Can we move to a clear, unified consciousness?

OBSERVATIONS
- Why is everyone accepting (Canadian)?
- Tyrant has no power
- Nobody can hurt each other physically
- People tend to talk to themselves when they are by themselves, in the dark.
- Not choosing to identify yourself means someone will identify you. E.g. “Bucket-man”
- Alliances occur.
- What constitutes power?
- “Time Prison” is a redundancy – those already exist.
- We are given the greatest collective gift as humans, and we don’t know how to deal with it, or can’t. Percieved as an invasion, but actually a gift.
- Kelsey: Can we have secrets between characters when we are all in eachother’s consciousnesses? Use jargon, other languages, metaphors.
- Line: “We’ve all been brought here for a purpose, we don’t know what it is, but we need to escape.”
- Dustin: These characters are very similar to us using this blog to write scripts. We have been given this power of the internet, but we are just learning to deal with this “elevated consciousness”. I wonder how I fit into this.

THEATRICAL IDEAS
- Ned: Stage design as separate, walled space with a candle at the centre. Audience is standing and free to move from focus to focus as actors act within their spaces.

WHAT’S NEXT
- Character development
- More blogging dialogue
- Last time with Ned, Caroline takes over next week.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suddenly stumbled upon this song. I think that Tears for Fears were the original performers of the song, but the version I discovered is the one from rem. I've been listening to it for the entire night, and somehow I think it describes the condition of our characters in our play's world.

"Mad World"

All around me are familiar faces
Worn out places, worn out faces
Bright and early for their daily races
Going nowhere, going nowhere
And their tears are filling up their glasses
No expression, no expression
Hide my head I want to drown my sorrow
No tomorrow, no tomorrow
And I find it kind of funny
I find it kind of sad
The dreams in which I'm dying
Are the best I've ever had
I find it hard to tell you
'Cos I find it hard to take
When people run in circles
It's a very, very
Mad World
Children waiting for the day they feel good
Happy Birthday, Happy Birthday
Made to feel the way that every child should
Sit and listen, sit and listen
Went to school and I was very nervous
No one knew me, no one knew me
Hello teacher tell me what's my lesson
Look right through me, look right through me

11/19/2005 2:03 a.m.  
Blogger Shawn said...

I think that on one hand we have characters that are possibly in the dark, a little confused but some of them know exactly how far they extend in space. They know their reach. I don't think that this world in which we are writing is as Mad as it may seem. Just because you are searching for clarity and understanding doesn't mean you are mad.

11/19/2005 11:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

2/20/2010 10:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home